Beginning Math Program
After Completing Level A---Recommended For:
- Advanced 4's (AK4)
- 5-year-olds (K5)
- Beginning 1st (B1st)
Notice to Math Edition 1 Users: If you have the original Math Lessons Guide: Level A and Math Lessons Guide: Level B, 2011's Home School version is not compatible. To purchase the original Level A workbook, order Part 401. For Level B, order Part 403.
Skills covered at Math Level B:1:
- Number Concepts 1-20
- Number Recognition 0-100
- Counting to 100 by 1's, 10's, 5's, 2's
- Counting Backwards from 20-0
- Missing Numbers in Sequence 0-100 (by 1's, 10's, 5's, 2's)
- Greater Than/Less Than 0-100
- Addition Facts 1-10
- Subtraction Facts 1-10
- Adding Multiple Numbers (e.g., 3+2+4+1)
- Simple Word Problems
Description of Math Lessons B:1:
After teaching the daily lesson, refer to Part II’s Workbook Answer Key
for additional teaching tips. Each day's
Math Workbook B:1 assignment begins with Scripture plus a spiritual and math application.
Through the B:1 lessons and workbook, children will be encouraged to strive for
mastery of the 1-10 addition/subtraction facts. They will also learn more about how to develop
godly character qualities like those reflected by the animal families on Math Flashcards 1-10. Those lessons are divided as follows:
- CHARACTER TRAINING: Every lesson begins with an example of how a godly character quality was developed in real life through Christ's grace and strength.
- DAILY MATH DRILL: The order of these drills may be mixed anyway you wish. After a drill has been mastered, it may be discontinued.
- NUMBER CONCEPTS: This section puts meaning (value) to numbers through use of a Place Value Pocket Chart, Snap Cubes, games, Number Puzzles (Word Problems), and chalkboard (or whiteboard) exercises.
- BASIC SKILLS: One of these skills should be taught daily: Before/After, Missing Numbers in Sequence, Greater Than/Less Than, and Adding Multiple Numbers.
- DAILY SEATWORK: The workbook assignment is listed at the end of each lesson along with pacing suggestions. Also included is a “WRITING NUMERALS” practice from the Alphabet & Numbers Tracing Masters Set.
BEST RESULTS . . . If you already have Math Kit A, order the Math Add-On Kit B (Part 005AO) to teach both Levels B:1 and B:2.
In addition to Math Lessons B:1, you need a:
- Christ-Centered Math Master Guide
which includes Math Flashcards 1-10, charts, and visual aids.
- Christ-Centered Math Workbook: Level B:1
- Math Hands-On Teaching Aids Set (Part 520)---if you don't already have a Place Value Pocket Chart and Snap Cubes.
An Advanced K4, K5, or Beginning 1st grader can usually complete Math Levels A
and B:1 in a year---and some K5/B1st students can also finish Level B:2.
A few more advanced students have even finished Levels A, B,
and C in a typical school year (or shortly thereafter). For the best
results, teach in sequence according to whatever pacing lovingly challenges your student's